Skip to main content

Venetian Red

"The Old Man of Stoer", watercolour, 17 x 14 cm

For many years I have used the same palette of colours, mostly based on the Sienna and Umber earth pigments with a few primaries for mixing. However, recently I have been looking at new options to see whether I can make my paintings a bit brighter. One addition I have been considering is a red oxide. In the past I've used Light Red, but it didn't seem to offer much more than I could get with Burnt Sienna. In this painting I used Venetian Red and it seems more useful: it makes a nice muted pink, and a purple/grey with French Ultramarine. It was perfect for the red sandstone rock in this subject.


Comments

  1. Good morning Keith!... Have missed your regular presence!

    Your searching and infusing of new ideas certainly contributed to the goals that you were seeking. Following the plow instead of pulling certainly yields "fixed furrows" that are linear... and predictably like everyone else's.

    But the most interesting furrows to me... are the ones that are curvilinear and because of sudden and unexpected shifts in planes from fore to background.


    Those rich and accurate pinks create wonderful contrast to the purples and grays of the shadows in the foreground, This contrast is simply amplified... when ones eye drifts backward into the hazy and undefined land features in the distance.

    A striking beautiful and wonderfully composed water color! Bravo!... Again!

    Good Painting!

    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Bruce. Yes, with various projects and commissions, blogging has been taking a back seat a bit recently. I'm quite excited by the potential of a new palette, and I'm glad you like the results of my experiments.

      All the best,
      Keith

      Delete
  2. A beautiful painting, Keith. I like the way the 'pink' of the rocks picks up the pinkish colour of the sky in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. Yes I was pleased with the way the colours worked together.

      Delete
  3. That's a great painting Keith. As you know I've always been fascinated by, and a big fan of, your palette so I will follow any changes with much interest. I certainly like the way the Venetian Red worked in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I'll try to remember to post the results of my experiments.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moorland Fire

Moorland Fire Watercolour 25 x 36 cm
There is a definite feeling of approaching autumn now, with some cooler days and more unsettled weather. It hardly seems any time at all since the spring, when there was a long spell of dry weather and the moors were tinder-dry. There were a number of serious fires at the time and several nature reserves were badly damaged. I think they were mostly caused by accident or carelessness this time, but unfortunately there are people who seem to get satisfaction from starting fires deliberately.

The fire in this painting is of a different kind. Every year between, autumn and spring, shooting estates burn off small patches of moorland to leave a patchwork of heather. This encourages the breeding of grouse, with the old growth providing cover and the new shoots providing food. The operation has to be done very carefully, because fires can easily get out of control, and once the underlying peat starts to burn it can burn for days and is very difficult to p…

Christmas Wishes

A couple of my latest watercolours and -

Best Wishes to all for Christmas

"The Fuel Bowser", Watercolour, 24 x 18 cm

"View at Skelbo", Watercolour, 16 x 26 cm

www.keithtilley.co.uk

Trying Out a Pochade Box

I had an old box for storing photographic transparencies that wasn't being used any more. It was just the right size to make a good pochade box, so I thought I would see what I could do with it. I fitted out the lid to hold two 8 x 10 inch panels, with the base holding the paints and brushes and a palette holding everything in place.

For its first trial I took it out to the same location as the previous post. This time it was raining, so it was an ideal opportunity to see how I would get on painting with the pochade inside my vehicle. It worked very well in the cramped conditions and was very easy to use.

When I had finished I just closed the lid and went home. Later, when I opened the box again, I found a blob of Pthalo Green right in the middle of the painting! I think the wood that I used for the palette was too flexible, so it had got pushed up into the lid. I was using acrylics, so normally it would have been easy to wash the green off. Unfortunately, I was trying out Atelie…