Trying Out a Pochade Box
I had an old box for storing photographic transparencies that wasn't being used any more. It was just the right size to make a good pochade box, so I thought I would see what I could do with it. I fitted out the lid to hold two 8 x 10 inch panels, with the base holding the paints and brushes and a palette holding everything in place.
For its first trial I took it out to the same location as the previous post. This time it was raining, so it was an ideal opportunity to see how I would get on painting with the pochade inside my vehicle. It worked very well in the cramped conditions and was very easy to use.
When I had finished I just closed the lid and went home. Later, when I opened the box again, I found a blob of Pthalo Green right in the middle of the painting! I think the wood that I used for the palette was too flexible, so it had got pushed up into the lid. I was using acrylics, so normally it would have been easy to wash the green off. Unfortunately, I was trying out Atelier Interactive acrylics, which can be reactivated when they are touch-dry. Wiping the painting removed some of the paint underneath, so I had to repaint that area.
I think I have solved the palette problem by using a thicker piece of wood. At the moment I am using greaseproof paper taped to the wood for easy cleaning. I have also modified the lid so that I can carry a wet painting face-down, so the surface should be protected. Hopefully that will prevent any future disasters.
The Moorland Road
20 x 26 cm