Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Town of Gold

In Strath Kildonan
Watercolour, 24 x 35 cm


Strath Kildonan became the scene of a Scottish gold rush when, in 1869, significant quantities of gold were found in two tributaries of the Helmsdale River. Around 600 prospectors made their way to the remote glen and two tented camps were set up. One of them was near the bridge at Baile an Or, which means 'Town of Gold' in Gaelic.

More information

No comments:

Post a Comment