Sunlight on an Old Farmyard

Watercolour painting of old farmyard with sun casting shadows in Caithness

Sunlight on an Old Farmyard

Watercolour, 18 cm x 25 cm


This was a painting that almost didn't come about. I had set up to paint this view in the middle of the afternoon, when the sun was low in the sky casting interesting shadows across the buildings. However the position I was working from was soon in shade, and in the still cold air the watercolour washes weren't drying. I tried waving the paper about to create a bit of air movement, and that sometimes helps, but not on this occasion. It became impossible to continue and the sun was going down, so in the end I abandoned the painting.

I hadn't got much to show for my efforts, but when I looked at it the next day, and with the scene still fresh in my memory, I was able to complete another painting in my studio.


Comments

Popular Posts