Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Farm in Snow

"A Farm in Snow" - watercolour - 16 x 26 cm


Winter weather has properly established itself now, with cold winds and snow showers. Watercolour washes are taking a long time to dry, so I have changed to a more direct method of painting. This involves putting down colour at full strength first time, instead of building the painting in layers. Areas of similar tone are allowed to fuse softly at the edges. Of the two methods, 'Direct' and 'Controlled Wash', I think I prefer the speed and brushwork of painting directly. It's not ideal for soft, atmospheric effects, but it works well for subjects like this, where there are strong tonal contrasts and texture.


8 comments:

  1. Good evening Keith!... I like the strong blocky forms and contrast of your more opaque use of colour. A pleasant complement to the softer quality of the snowy landscape. Works for me... and obviously for you as well! Hello winter.... everywhere!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce, I'm glad you like the strong contrasts. Snow is a great subject for watercolour, it's just a pity that it doesn't work so well in freezing temperatures!

      All the best,
      Keith

      Delete
  2. Well Keith, no matter what your technique, you do it so well. This is a lovely painting, and looks very cold.
    LOL ! As always your way into the painting brings me to that little red door. And then immediately back and forth..
    Barbra Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbra Joan. I hope you have a good Christmas, although I guess not a white one where you are!

      Delete
  3. A beautiful painting, Keith, and you have definitely caught the feeling (and the cold) of winter in the countryside. I almost feel as though I could walk into the painting (but then I would not want to forget my boots and a heavy overcoat...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, yes you would definitely need the overcoat; a painting can't easily convey how cold the wind is.

      Delete
  4. Great painting I can really feel the chill ps if you get a chance check out my new coastal paintings
    http://illustratedtrout.blogspot.com/?m=0
    Cheers
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Nice work. It makes a change to see some Californian paintings that aren't all blue sky and sunshine!

      Delete