Skip to main content

Ghost Washes


I've often heard stories of people holding failed watercolours under running water to wash the colour off. They then paint over the faint image that's left. Some artists make this part of their usual practice by starting with an overall variegated wash. Trevor Chamberlain calls this a “ghost wash”.

I haven't tried washing a painting off before. If it's that bad I usually just start again on a fresh piece of paper. I had been reading about the ghost wash idea, so I thought I would try it with an old reject. It worked well and I liked the idea of covering the paper and quickly establishing the general colours. It's definitely something that I am going to try a bit more.

I took some photographs while I was working on the painting to show the progress. The colours are a bit off because of the light, but the finished view is fairly accurate.

Stage One
I held the painting under a running tap and gently wiped the paint off with a brush. This was Saunders Waterford Rough paper, which I find retains the pigments more than other papers, so a faint image remained.

Stage One

Stage Two
I re-wetted the sky area and painted the clouds with a mixture of French Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna. As this dried I dropped in a stronger mix of the same colours, with a bit more blue, to give more form to the clouds.

Stage Two


Stage Three
Once the sky had dried I put in the distant hills with French Ultramarine, Burnt Sienna and a little Permanent Rose. Some wet-in-wet touches of pure Ultramarine gave a bit more definition.
I continued with the foreground areas, using Raw Sienna alone or with Pthalo Green for the fields. The moorland at the bottom was Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine with a bit of Permanent Rose.
I also put in the roofs with Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna.

Stage Three


Final Stage
I finished the painting off with some strong darks, using Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna. Some dry-brushing gave a bit of texture to the foreground, The vertical telegraph poles helped to break up the horizontal lines a bit.

"A Hill Farm" - watercolour - 18 x 26 cm 


Comments

  1. I've never tried this, but after seeing your finished work I'm anxious to do the same! Thanks for sharing!Love the sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith, I find this works particularly well on Arches 140lb CP paper...although of course staining colours such as Winsor Blue leave more ghosting than others. I don't use a brush, just let the water run over the painting and shake it around a bit. I find using a brush really starts to break down the sizing. It's fun with a garden hose when you are painting outside! your painting here turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A garden hose, Maggie, now that's a way to take out your frustrations on a painting!

      Delete
  3. HI there Keith... An interesting technique... that seems to have created yet another tool for your already well-stocked transparent water clolour tool box!

    Sure produced that "ghostly" ... atmospheric condition that you thrive on!

    Hose 'em down! A great tip for folks who watercolour!

    Good Painting... and hosing! HA HA!!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce,.......And like any shiny new tool, I'm quite excited about seeing what I can do with it!

      All the best,
      Keith

      Delete
  4. A very interesting technique Keith and an excellent end result. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Wishes

A couple of my latest watercolours and -

Best Wishes to all for Christmas

"The Fuel Bowser", Watercolour, 24 x 18 cm

"View at Skelbo", Watercolour, 16 x 26 cm

www.keithtilley.co.uk

Moorland Fire

Moorland Fire Watercolour 25 x 36 cm
There is a definite feeling of approaching autumn now, with some cooler days and more unsettled weather. It hardly seems any time at all since the spring, when there was a long spell of dry weather and the moors were tinder-dry. There were a number of serious fires at the time and several nature reserves were badly damaged. I think they were mostly caused by accident or carelessness this time, but unfortunately there are people who seem to get satisfaction from starting fires deliberately.

The fire in this painting is of a different kind. Every year between, autumn and spring, shooting estates burn off small patches of moorland to leave a patchwork of heather. This encourages the breeding of grouse, with the old growth providing cover and the new shoots providing food. The operation has to be done very carefully, because fires can easily get out of control, and once the underlying peat starts to burn it can burn for days and is very difficult to p…

North Coast 500

In 2015 the North Highland Initiative started a project to boost tourism in the northern counties of Scotland. The idea was to publicise a 500 mile route through Inverness-shire, Ross & Cromarty, Sutherland and my home county of Caithness, and promote it as a superb road trip. I don't know how successful they expected it to be, but it has quickly become very popular and has been called one of the top five coastal routes in the World. In fact its popularity is becoming a problem for the local residents: some of the roads are single-track, with bays at intervals to allow two vehicles to pass each other, but there is an etiquette for their use that strangers are not always aware of. The result is that local people going about their business find themselves held up by slow-moving tourist vehicles, so if you use the route please pull over and allow other vehicles to pass. The amount of traffic will probably also cause damage to the roads, which were not intended for heavy use. Desp…