Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Stitched-up Landscape

"Showers Over The Castle of Mey" - watercolour - 25 x 36 cm



Sometimes it's impossible to create a good landscape painting from one position or point in time, so a bit of creativity is needed. On this occasion I was travelling to The Castle of Mey when I noticed some dramatic rain clouds. I thought that they would make a dramatic composition behind the Castle, but I knew that they would soon disappear. The solution was to make a sketch of the rain clouds and then combine them with another sketch of the Castle to make a painting later. It's important with this method to be careful that light and shadows and perspective etc are consistent. A collection of interesting sky studies can be a useful resource for adding to subjects in this way.

12 comments:

  1. Good Morning Keith!... Your skies are always an exciting part of most of your paintings... nd contribute greatly to the aerial perspective which again are a hallmark in your work. A gem!

    An intersting ploy to make sky studies and then plunk them (carefully and selectively) into another painting. Might borrow that strategy... if , and whenever I get back to the unfinished waterfall painting... glaring back from the corner of my studio at me! HA HA!!!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regrads,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce, it's not so easy with plein-air work, but in the studio it's a way of making use of some interesting skies.

      All the best,
      Keith

      Delete
  2. The sky looks fantastic Keith. From a personal point of view, I really like the paintings with buildings in them. They just seem to have that X factor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steven, yes they do make a nice centre of interest.

      Delete
  3. Superbly done. As you know I'm a big fan of your skies and this one is fabulous. I'm interested that you capture the moment by sketching rather than just pulling out a camera. Great work Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use photographs as well John, but often the results don't capture the feeling so well as a sketch for me. Maybe I'm not a good enough photographer! I think it's more the case though, that the sketch helps to imprint the experience in my memory. Quite often I don't really need the sketch when I make the painting, because I can clearly remember what the subject looked like.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, I find them much easier than birds! /-)

      Delete
  5. Alright Keith, what else can be said about your skies?
    They've always caught my eye and once again that is so...
    I love the grainy texture,colors etc.
    oh and your castle is not too shabby either. !!! lol ! BJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely painting Keith and your buildings set off that borrowed sky so well! I am working on a painting where I am doing exactly the same thing - replacing a dull grey sky with a more tempestuous one I photographed some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank. I look forward to seeing how you get on.

      Delete