Monday, July 12, 2010

Sun and Rain at Dounreay

Sun and Rain at Dounreay
Watercolour
25 x 36 cm

I thought it was about time that I did a painting of Dounreay Nuclear Power Station again.

The site is being decommissioned and the whole process is expected to take 35 years or more. I've heard that they are planning to dismantle the famous golf-ball-shaped containment building. I hope that's not the case, it's such an iconic feature. It would be nice if they could clean it up and make it safe enough to turn into a visitor centre. I think it's just as much a symbol of our time as castles and other old buildings are of theirs.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Keith!.... What an unusual subject to paint... but how wonderfully "You" relate to the site and the history surrounding its origin and use!

    That's the real key to making a successful painting - it must come form within... then organize and use what's outside!

    The painting itself is an extremely fine example of the elements everyone should shoot for... and usually misses! HAHA!!

    Lovely transparency and handling of both the sky and the water elements. Once again your ability to express aerial perspective gives the painting a real sense of space and depth!

    A gem Keith!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bruce. I do indeed relate to this view, with its drama and elemental forces.

    I hope "The Hen's Ladder" is coming on well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely fresh looking watercolour Keith. The colours are very summery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome, ... how small against soo
    much nature.

    Well painted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith

    Great painting, it reminds me of Heaton Cooper's painting of the same subject. Although I think he painted it from the otherside looking towards your viewpoint. There is a reproduction of it in his book; Mountain Painter.

    Regards
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes René, nothing beats the power of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stuart.

    I hadn't realised that Heaton Cooper got up to this part of the World. I'll have to look out for that one.

    ReplyDelete