Skip to main content

Ackergill Tower, Ebb Tide

Ackergill Tower, Ebb Tide
Watercolour
16 x 25 cm

There are some popular subjects, which I find myself painting frequently. The problem with these is how to maintain the interest. In this case I set myself the challenge of using just two colours: French Ultramarine and Burnt Umber.


Comments

  1. Hi again Keith!.... There is always a way around becoming predictable and being governed by a process... this one proves that point admirably!

    While you limited yourself to using two colours... your accomplished abilities to use varied grade and tone with those two... ends up with an "unlimited" palette!

    Nicely done Keith... as always! Enjoyed my visit!

    Good Painting... and "playing" HAHA!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wee size of painting Keith did you paint it out on location? Lovely composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bruce. The interesting thing is that I think it's easier to limit the number of colours, in a way. Then tonal values become easier to judge and there is less need to worry about colour mixes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Caroline. This was a studio painting using sketches and memory. It's a composition that I have painted a few times now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one. Bruce has said all I'd like to re. great grades & tones achieved even with your limited pallate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is excellent Keith, and I was very surprised to read that you only used two colours. Sometimes less really is more! A great composition full of feeling and very skillfully executed. I'm looking forward to popping back to follow your progress. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Caroline and thanks for the comment.

    "Sometimes less really is more!"

    Yes, especially in watercolour, I think, when the painting looks best when it's kept simple.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moorland Fire

Moorland Fire Watercolour 25 x 36 cm
There is a definite feeling of approaching autumn now, with some cooler days and more unsettled weather. It hardly seems any time at all since the spring, when there was a long spell of dry weather and the moors were tinder-dry. There were a number of serious fires at the time and several nature reserves were badly damaged. I think they were mostly caused by accident or carelessness this time, but unfortunately there are people who seem to get satisfaction from starting fires deliberately.

The fire in this painting is of a different kind. Every year between, autumn and spring, shooting estates burn off small patches of moorland to leave a patchwork of heather. This encourages the breeding of grouse, with the old growth providing cover and the new shoots providing food. The operation has to be done very carefully, because fires can easily get out of control, and once the underlying peat starts to burn it can burn for days and is very difficult to p…

Christmas Wishes

A couple of my latest watercolours and -

Best Wishes to all for Christmas

"The Fuel Bowser", Watercolour, 24 x 18 cm

"View at Skelbo", Watercolour, 16 x 26 cm

www.keithtilley.co.uk

Trying Out a Pochade Box

I had an old box for storing photographic transparencies that wasn't being used any more. It was just the right size to make a good pochade box, so I thought I would see what I could do with it. I fitted out the lid to hold two 8 x 10 inch panels, with the base holding the paints and brushes and a palette holding everything in place.

For its first trial I took it out to the same location as the previous post. This time it was raining, so it was an ideal opportunity to see how I would get on painting with the pochade inside my vehicle. It worked very well in the cramped conditions and was very easy to use.

When I had finished I just closed the lid and went home. Later, when I opened the box again, I found a blob of Pthalo Green right in the middle of the painting! I think the wood that I used for the palette was too flexible, so it had got pushed up into the lid. I was using acrylics, so normally it would have been easy to wash the green off. Unfortunately, I was trying out Atelie…