Thursday, January 14, 2010

Icy Roads

Snow Shower over Achaguie
Watercolour, 25.5 x 35.5 cm


Caithness seems to have missed the worst of the recent winter weather. Other parts of the Highlands have had a metre or more of snow and temperatures of -20 Centigrade. There has been plenty of snow here too, but the main problem has been with ice. We had a period of settled weather with sub-zero temperatures which froze the snow which had already fallen. The roads were in a dangerous condition and have only just become clear again.

This road was especially bad and has steep verges on each side. Several vehicles skidded off it and got stuck on one day.

12 comments:

  1. I love the tender details amidst the bleakness of it all. It reminds me of images I have seen of the Canadian prairies in the winter. All that space, filled to the edges with cold, cold, cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kieth,

    long time no see, glad to hear you are all right. Take care you old Norman ;-)

    Btw. isn't it Celsius instead of Centigrade?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks PurestGreen. I had the same feelings about the Canadian Prairies and Arctic tundra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello René. It's been difficult getting anything done recently - hard to get about and water coming through the studio roof. Things are getting back to normal now.

    Yes Celsius is better. I'm showing my age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was waiting to see what you would do with all that bad weather...and you did not disapoint keith,this a delightfull and delicate piece,i like it a lot.
    except i would have put a stranded car inthere...but that's just me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing the trouble they had getting them out, I didn't want to put another one in there Rob! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful painting, the lighting in the sky is magical , I really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Keith!.... Serenely winter!"You" have nailed it here! Being Canadian..."I" well identify with all of the comments you have received... happens all the time up my way! A beautiful "snowflake" this one Keith! Well done!
    Cheers!
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sarah. I love the luminosity of a watercolour sky when things go well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Bruce. I'm glad it makes you feel at home! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cool feeling to see this painting! Well done with the soft colors...I just love them!

    Graphite Pencil Sketch: Rajasthani Woman Portrait

    ReplyDelete