Skip to main content

Painting Equipment

A friend was asking today about my equipment for painting outdoors, so I thought I would show my set-up here.

I use a lightweight watercolour box, into which I squeeze tube colours. I have a selection of brushes for different sizes of paintings. I usually only use one or two. I like to paint standing up, so I use a lightweight easel. This is made up from a camera tripod and a board, with a special plate for attaching it to the tripod. I often have my paper taped onto a thin piece of MDF or card, so that it is easier to handle in the wind. I then clip this watercolour board to the board on my easel.

If I am walking a long way I usually leave the easel behind to save weight. In that case I sit on the ground to paint. I might even fill my paintbox before I go out and leave the tubes behind.




Plate for attaching to tripod


Comments

  1. That is a very smart easel, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and the best thing about is that I found the tripod in a charity shop. It was a good quality one and practically unused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that fascinating!

    I don't walk that far but I did think the other day its kind of daft to fill the car or camper with a tripod and an easel, that there should be a way for the one to do the work of both :-)

    Can I ask, how do you manage your paper / pad not getting bashed on the corners, bent, etc when shoving in bags?

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the moment, Nicki, I am using a folder to carry my paper. It's made up from two pieces of foam board taped together, with space between for half a dozen sheets of paper, and I keep it closed with a couple of bulldog clips. It makes a very lightweight way of carrying the paper. If I want to keep things to the minimum, I can leave the tripod behind and use the folder as a drawing board.

    The fitting on the board for attaching it to the tripod came from Ken Bromley's - http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-camera-tripod-mounting-bracket.htm. They're quite expensive but quick and easy to fit. Otherwise a good old hardware shop might have something called a T-nut that can be screwed into the board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith, thank you so much for the ideas and advice. I am definitely going to create a folder using your method - sounds ideal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moorland Fire

Moorland Fire Watercolour 25 x 36 cm
There is a definite feeling of approaching autumn now, with some cooler days and more unsettled weather. It hardly seems any time at all since the spring, when there was a long spell of dry weather and the moors were tinder-dry. There were a number of serious fires at the time and several nature reserves were badly damaged. I think they were mostly caused by accident or carelessness this time, but unfortunately there are people who seem to get satisfaction from starting fires deliberately.

The fire in this painting is of a different kind. Every year between, autumn and spring, shooting estates burn off small patches of moorland to leave a patchwork of heather. This encourages the breeding of grouse, with the old growth providing cover and the new shoots providing food. The operation has to be done very carefully, because fires can easily get out of control, and once the underlying peat starts to burn it can burn for days and is very difficult to p…

Christmas Wishes

A couple of my latest watercolours and -

Best Wishes to all for Christmas

"The Fuel Bowser", Watercolour, 24 x 18 cm

"View at Skelbo", Watercolour, 16 x 26 cm

www.keithtilley.co.uk

Trying Out a Pochade Box

I had an old box for storing photographic transparencies that wasn't being used any more. It was just the right size to make a good pochade box, so I thought I would see what I could do with it. I fitted out the lid to hold two 8 x 10 inch panels, with the base holding the paints and brushes and a palette holding everything in place.

For its first trial I took it out to the same location as the previous post. This time it was raining, so it was an ideal opportunity to see how I would get on painting with the pochade inside my vehicle. It worked very well in the cramped conditions and was very easy to use.

When I had finished I just closed the lid and went home. Later, when I opened the box again, I found a blob of Pthalo Green right in the middle of the painting! I think the wood that I used for the palette was too flexible, so it had got pushed up into the lid. I was using acrylics, so normally it would have been easy to wash the green off. Unfortunately, I was trying out Atelie…