Monday, August 3, 2009

The Glenmore Forest

The next day in The Cairngorms was wet, and the clouds were down over the hills, so I decided to do a low-level walk. As well as dramatic mountains the area also has some wonderful old pine forests, which are remnants of the Caledonian Forest that once covered large parts of Scotland. A forest walk is ideal for a wet day, with the trees providing some shelter and the mist creating interesting backgrounds.

I started from Glenmore, a popular centre for Cairngorm activities, and followed the Allt Mor which flows down from the Northern Corries into Loch Morlich.


The Allt Mòr


After several miles of winding paths through the forest, where I met only a few other people, I came to Ryvoan Bothy. This was originally an 18th Century croft house, but is now maintained by the Mountain Bothies Association as a shelter for hikers. I just about finished sketching before it starting raining heavily.


Ryvoan Bothy



Ryvoan Bothy



On the way back I managed to get one more sketch of the forest when the rain eased off a bit.


The Glenmore Forest
Water-soluble graphite pencils


4 comments:

  1. It was raining the last time I was there too! Although that does make for some atmospheric watercolours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been reading that it was the wettest July for nine years in the Cairngorms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you camp, when you are on these trips, or do you do 'day trips'? beautiful scenery. Lovely sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the offer of a friend's caravan this time Diane. The Cairngorms are three hours' drive from here which would make it a very long day.

    In recent years I haven't been able to get away much. I've had to care for elderly parents and then elderly dogs!

    Now that I'm not so restricted I'm trying to get away more. I'm trying camping and finding that I really enjoy it. I might eventually have a go at backpacking. It must be wonderful to camp out in wild country and wake up early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete