Ben Stack

Ben Stack
Watercolour, 23 x 34 cm



I've been over to Sutherland for a couple of days to do some hill-walking, mainly to climb Foinaven. What an amazing landscape it is! The rocks are 3 billion years old and the area has been designated as a Geopark. I couldn't wait to do some paintings from the sketches I made as soon as I got back.

Foinaven is just out of view to the left of the painting. My route onto the mountain was up the rocky spur on the left. It was very steep and I was getting quite hot in the sun. I finally reached the summit ridge and the cloud immediately came down, completely blotting out the views. I waited for a while but it didn't look like clearing so I headed back down. No sooner had I reached the foot of the mountain than the cloud cleared! Oh well, at least I have an excuse to go back there.

North West Highlands Geopark

Comments

Frank A. said…
Great sky on this piece, Keith.
Does it for me..!

All the best of summer painting to you..
Diane said…
I agree - the sky is fantastic. It opens the whole painting up 'upwards', if you get what I mean.
Sure "lost" I think everybody can see that. An awesome piece Keith, unbelievable. If you would flatten out all the mountains how large would the World be? ...

(and how small the Netherlands) :-P
Great work, that sky gives real depth and atmosphere to the piece.
rob ijbema said…
very dramatic keith
the clouds add a lot of feeling to the place,too funny about the clouds teasing you on the mountain!
Keith Tilley said…
The funny thing is that I always feel that watercolour skies almost paint themselves. You put the paint on in the right place, and at the right consistency, and then you stand back and watch the clouds form.

Flat mountains - that would make hill-walking easier René! Perhaps that's missing the point though!
Steven Cronin said…
Must have been fantastic amongst those hills Keith.
Ingrid Ormestad said…
Awesome painting Keith. I am heading to the Highlands next month for a few days, I may try this 'Plein Air' painting ... it certainly suits you.
Keith Tilley said…
Yes, go for it Ingrid. It's great once you get used to it, but don't expect too much to start with.
North Light said…
I love the muted greys in this, so characteristic of the landscape. As a photographer it can be all too easy to overdo the saturation, and hence loose the lovely graduations of tones.
Keith Tilley said…
Thanks Jamie. I suppose those of us who don't know much about photography don't realise that. We tend to think that the photograph is a true representation, but really it has its limitations like any other medium.

Popular Posts