Skip to main content

Tugboat at Wick

Sometimes a subject catches my eye, even when it isn't the sort of thing I would normally paint. In this case I think it was the saturated colours which interested me, or maybe I was inspired by René's boat paintings!


Tugboat at Wick
Acrylic, 8 x 10 inches, 20 x 25 cm


I used my usual 'Secondary Palette', but I had to use a brighter red - Scarlet Lake (Arylamide, PR188). The basic palette is:

Raw Sienna
Burnt Sienna
Permanent Rose
French Ultramarine
Pthalo Blue (green shade)
Pthalo Green (yellow shade)

When I need a brighter red/orange or yellow I use Scarlet Lake and Winsor Yellow.

Comments

  1. Hi Keith
    I know what you mean about the change of subject matter. I like the way you have handled the colour harmony, even though you've used such a bright red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stuart. I can't say I'm happy using bright colours, even though I admire artists who do.

    I think it's good to try something different from time to time. It helps to keep the work fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed it does Keith, and you did a great job doing it!

    Thanks for the linking, much appreciated.

    I think you should do it more often, because as with your landscape paintings it can be more loosely. You only have to get use through the even harder and more simplifying bit. (does this make any sense?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I think so René. I did find it hard not to put in too much detail. I think I need to concentrate more on the big shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what ever the reason it is great to see you do something out of the box keith.despite the detail this looks fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rob. I might do a few more harbour paintings, we have some nice ones around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely Keith, I really like those Oil storage tanks, they produce wonderful reflections in the water of the harbour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moorland Fire

Moorland Fire Watercolour 25 x 36 cm
There is a definite feeling of approaching autumn now, with some cooler days and more unsettled weather. It hardly seems any time at all since the spring, when there was a long spell of dry weather and the moors were tinder-dry. There were a number of serious fires at the time and several nature reserves were badly damaged. I think they were mostly caused by accident or carelessness this time, but unfortunately there are people who seem to get satisfaction from starting fires deliberately.

The fire in this painting is of a different kind. Every year between, autumn and spring, shooting estates burn off small patches of moorland to leave a patchwork of heather. This encourages the breeding of grouse, with the old growth providing cover and the new shoots providing food. The operation has to be done very carefully, because fires can easily get out of control, and once the underlying peat starts to burn it can burn for days and is very difficult to p…

Christmas Wishes

A couple of my latest watercolours and -

Best Wishes to all for Christmas

"The Fuel Bowser", Watercolour, 24 x 18 cm

"View at Skelbo", Watercolour, 16 x 26 cm

www.keithtilley.co.uk

Trying Out a Pochade Box

I had an old box for storing photographic transparencies that wasn't being used any more. It was just the right size to make a good pochade box, so I thought I would see what I could do with it. I fitted out the lid to hold two 8 x 10 inch panels, with the base holding the paints and brushes and a palette holding everything in place.

For its first trial I took it out to the same location as the previous post. This time it was raining, so it was an ideal opportunity to see how I would get on painting with the pochade inside my vehicle. It worked very well in the cramped conditions and was very easy to use.

When I had finished I just closed the lid and went home. Later, when I opened the box again, I found a blob of Pthalo Green right in the middle of the painting! I think the wood that I used for the palette was too flexible, so it had got pushed up into the lid. I was using acrylics, so normally it would have been easy to wash the green off. Unfortunately, I was trying out Atelie…