Skip to main content

The Old Workhorse

The Old Workhorse
Watercolour, 10 x 14 inches


This was an unusual subject for me, but it is good to try something different now and again.
It was one of those dreary days when the clouds seem to come down to the ground, but as it wasn't actually raining I thought I might be able to get something done. There were no distant views and the poor light meant that the tones were all grey, so I needed to find some colour. I came across this old vehicle which was being used for forestry work, so I thought I would have a go at it.
I hadn't been painting for very long when it started raining and there didn't seem to be any sign of it stopping soon. I have sometimes painted from inside my van in conditions like these, but I dislike doing it because it literally cramps my style, so this time I tried something else. I set up my tripod inside the vehicle and I stood outside, so I got wet but the painting didn't! I found that it worked very well and I think I might be able to use this technique a lot more to paint in bad weather. I had to have my board at a steeper angle than usual, but I found that the paint seemed to go on better, so this is something else to try in future.


Set-up for painting in the van

Comments

  1. The painting is great even if, as you say, it is a bit different to what you normally paint. You managed to capture the feeling of wet desolation (which you most probably feeling, if you were standing outside the van, in the rain!). It is a very sensory painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. women and paintings first!
    the things we do for our little paintings
    it sure looks worth it Keith
    and painting something different is a great excercise.
    i like the way the truck is sitting in the landscape,totally natural despite it being orange,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lost in space - It's interesting how working outdoors brings something extra to the process. Something about engaging all the senses seems to transfer itself to the painting.

    Rob - I think it was because the truck looked so natural that it interested me. If it had been a shiny new vehicle, or if it had been on tarmac, I would probably have passed it by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moorland Fire

Moorland Fire Watercolour 25 x 36 cm
There is a definite feeling of approaching autumn now, with some cooler days and more unsettled weather. It hardly seems any time at all since the spring, when there was a long spell of dry weather and the moors were tinder-dry. There were a number of serious fires at the time and several nature reserves were badly damaged. I think they were mostly caused by accident or carelessness this time, but unfortunately there are people who seem to get satisfaction from starting fires deliberately.

The fire in this painting is of a different kind. Every year between, autumn and spring, shooting estates burn off small patches of moorland to leave a patchwork of heather. This encourages the breeding of grouse, with the old growth providing cover and the new shoots providing food. The operation has to be done very carefully, because fires can easily get out of control, and once the underlying peat starts to burn it can burn for days and is very difficult to p…

Christmas Wishes

A couple of my latest watercolours and -

Best Wishes to all for Christmas

"The Fuel Bowser", Watercolour, 24 x 18 cm

"View at Skelbo", Watercolour, 16 x 26 cm

www.keithtilley.co.uk

Trying Out a Pochade Box

I had an old box for storing photographic transparencies that wasn't being used any more. It was just the right size to make a good pochade box, so I thought I would see what I could do with it. I fitted out the lid to hold two 8 x 10 inch panels, with the base holding the paints and brushes and a palette holding everything in place.

For its first trial I took it out to the same location as the previous post. This time it was raining, so it was an ideal opportunity to see how I would get on painting with the pochade inside my vehicle. It worked very well in the cramped conditions and was very easy to use.

When I had finished I just closed the lid and went home. Later, when I opened the box again, I found a blob of Pthalo Green right in the middle of the painting! I think the wood that I used for the palette was too flexible, so it had got pushed up into the lid. I was using acrylics, so normally it would have been easy to wash the green off. Unfortunately, I was trying out Atelie…